Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Stepping out of the Normal Color Scheme

Normally, I'm making baby blankets or other gifts for ladies and babies. Rarely do I step away from the pinks and blues and pastel colored yarn. That all changed when I was asked to make a blanket for a friend. This particular request was for a blanket for a man. She wanted me to make a blanket using Miami football colors.

The first challenge was to find nice yarn in non-traditional colors. Orange and teal aren't colors I normally purchase, nor see. Once I purchased the yarn that wold best fit needs, the next challenge was to find a design or pattern that was "manly." Since I am not able to read patterns, I have to make up my designs as I go.

 In the end, I think this blanket turned out pretty darn good.I used a combination of many stitches and patterns. I even changed up the way I normally stitch the pointed stitches, so it looked a little less like a granny square. It's not shown in this picture, but my measurements were a little short, so I had to add onto either end of the blanket. I made a smaller patter of the colors on either end to lengthen it an extra foot.


No comments:

Post a Comment